Executive Legal Assistant
Jackson, MS 39213
The Legal Assistant provides administrative assistance to the Vice President, Legal, Legal Administrator, and General Counsel, acting with confidence and demonstrating a high level of professionalism when interacting with management, Board members, and executives with other companies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform clerical and administrative duties at the request of the attorney(s) and/or department administrator.
- Transcribe dictation and enter handwritten material; Draft standard correspondence (interoffice memos, cover letters, check transmittal letters, etc.)
- Assist legal administrator with maintaining Legal Department Calendar (record deposition, hearing and trial dates, as well as personal appointments and vacations).
- Make travel arrangements (airfare, hotel, rental car, etc.). Prepare and distribute travel itinerary.
- Open, maintain and close files (Central and Investment) using the Legal Department’s central filing system and file retention schedule.
- Maintain and file microfiche film; periodically review files for microfilm/imaging and arrange for transportation to storage.
- Prepare check requisitions for payment of legal fees to outside counsel as requested by attorney(s). Obtain approval of check requisitions(s) from attorney(s), Legal Administrator or Senior Legal Secretary, respectively, according to dollar amount.
- Answer phones and assist callers; Photocopy documents, files and other materials; Prepare, transmit and receive faxes; Prepare overnight and hand delivery packages; Open, date-stamp and distribute Legal Department mail.
- Inventory, order and stock office supplies for the Legal Department.
- Receive clients and visitors; maintain good public relations with clients; observe confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
- Assist with law library updates.
- Review and distribute copies of bankruptcy notices to appropriate departments as received.
- Maintain Attorney Reference Book InfoBase.
- Download, review, index and maintain bills introduced in the legislature
- Prepare county and state service agreements and agent’s contracts upon direction of the attorney(s)
- High school Diploma/GED
- Associate degree (preferably in a business related field) or two years of legal, administrative, or executive assistant experience
- Proficiency in typing (60 wpm)
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft Word
- Proficiency in Adobe Acrobat Professional preferred
- Proficiency in FolioViews and Dictaphone preferred
- Expertise in business English
- Good communication skills, including telephone etiquette
- Good organization skills
- Full-time: 40 hours per week
- Salary: $26,600-$37,000 DOE